Nintendo Switch (previously known as NX and often shortened to "Switch") is a video game console created by that was released world-wide on March 3, 2017. It was announced on the day as their partnership with Japanese Mobile game designer DeNA, who created their mobile social networking hit Miitomo, both were officially announced on October 20, 2016.
The new home console was announced by Nintendo under the codename "NX", as Nintendo's next console. After the announcement, people began spreading various rumors like; Specs, a Mobile accessory, a possible name for the console and more.
A June 2015 interview, Reggie Fils-Aime, President of Nintendo of America, stated that the codename NX would be "our next home console", while Tatsumi Kimishima, current Nintendo CEO and President, stated in a May 2016 interview that the NX would be a new way to play games (some thought the NX would be a hybrid console which was eventually confirmed to be true), that it would slow down the Wii U's sales upon release.
The Nintendo Switch features the formerly announced Wii U-exclusive, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, as a launch title alongside the Wii U version.
Kimishima stated that the reception for the Nintendo Switch has been "overwhelmingly positive" thus far, and that there will be more information on January 12, 2017. The Reveal Trailer is currently Nintendo's most-viewed video on their Youtube Channel, having over 23 million views worldwide (over 19 million in North America) and also becoming the #1 Trending Video on the week of the announcement.
Later on January 12, 2017, Kimishima revealed more information as promised. It was a Live Presentation which showcases the features of the Nintendo Switch and the official games lineup. As of February 13, 2017, the presentation has over 1.49 million views.
Reviewers praised the Nintendo Switch for having potential, but criticized it for it's lack of a decent launch title lineup which didn't showcase what the console is capable of
October 20, 2016 Reveal Trailer Notes Edit
- Nintendo Switch will feature detachable controllers titled Joy-Cons and all the hardware is in the console form factor. The Joy-Cons can be attached to the Nintendo Switch and be taken with you on the go. It will also have a Nintendo Switch Pro Controller option similar to what the Wii U had.
- The trailer showed the Nintendo Switch having a car accessory that straps to a headrest on your car, with the console serving as the screen.
- It will use cartridges and SD cards.
- It won't be backwards compatible with Nintendo 3DS or Wii U games. Instead, it'll likely have what's assumed to be enhanced ports for big games like Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U and so on.
January 12, 2017 Presentation Notes Edit
- The Nintendo Switch will cost $299.99, or ￥29,980.
- At launch, players can use Nintendo's online services for free, In the Fall of 2017, however, they must pay. If you do pay, you can use your smartphone for special features. You can get a free NES or SNES (with newly-added online play) game to download and play for one month. The price of the service will cost around $17-26 each year.
- Left and Right Joy-Cons will also feature "SL" and "SR" buttons as a secondary set of back buttons.
- Both Joy-Cons will feature motion controlls similar to the Wii Remote.
- The Left Joy-Con features has a capture button to share screenshots and the Right Joy-Con features amiibo functionality located on the Right Joy-Con stick.
- The Nintendo Switch alone will have 2.5 to 6 hours of battery life depending on your settings and which games you play. Games like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild can be played for roughly 3 hours.
- Nintendo Swicth lineup is finally revealed, being; The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Super Bomberman R, 1-2-Switch, Skylanders Imaginators, and Just Dance 2017.
- Nintendo Switch's lineup for 2017 can be seen below, but note that there are still more titles that have yet to be announced for this year, and will likely be revealed at a later date.
Nintendo Switch Gallery Edit
- Nintendo Switch was revealed on October 20, 2016, having it's codename "NX" replaced by its official name.
- Some rumors about the Nintendo Switch were confirmed to be true, like the one about it being a hybrid console-handheld.
- It is Nvidia powered. It's unconfirmed it'll have Pascal or Maxwell, the architecture was much easier to develop than the Wii U was.
- Battery life will last from 2.5 to 6 hours depending on the games you play and your current settings, but battery life will last about 3 hours when playing The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
- Nintendo Switch was confirmed to be fully rechargeable within 30 minutes.
- It won't feature Miiverse or Streetpass.
- Nintendo Switch is currently the third Nintendo console to feature amiibo functionality, the other being Nintendo 3DS and Wii U